What is underfloor heating?
Underfloor heating is a system that heats the concrete floor by using hydronic water pipes installed in a specific way within the floor to provide an even heat across the whole floor area. We use Rehau and Uponor PEX pipe for the in slab pipework which, when installed by ourselves, comes with a 25 year warranty.
How does under floor heating work?
Warm water is delivered from a heat source to a central manifold and then distributed around all the circuits evenly. As the warm water flows through the pipes it transmits the heat to the concrete floor or heating medium using conduction. This heat is then radiated into the room from the floor upwards.
What are the benefits?
- Same comfort level at lower room temperatures therefore reducing running costs.
- Reduces heat wastage
- Large heat emitter reduces water temperatures and reduces running costs.
- Can be combined with radiator panels to give flexible heating options.
- An even spread of heat across the floor.
- Silent and invisible heating system.
- No ducting, minimising the circulation of allergens and dust mites.
- Reduced problems with dampness, draughts and condensation.
- Clean and odourless.
- Suitable for use with a large range of floor coverings.
- Low operating costs.
- A warm, dry floor inhibits the growth of dust mites.
- Can be zoned to provide full control over the system.
- Low maintenance costs.
What is my heat source?
You can use any of the following sources to heat your floor although each installation will be designed to your specific needs.
- Natural or LP gas boiler
- Diesel boiler
- Air sourced heat pump
- Geo-thermal heat pump
- Combustion stove
What type of floor covering can I use?
Different floor coverings have different thermal restrictions which either aid or hinder underfloor heating. Included in the download section is a page from the Rehau installation manual which shows the effectiveness of each product, the less the resistance the better it is for underfloor heating.
How is underfloor heating installed into my house?
Normally installation is incorporated at the design stage although it can be retro fitted and this was predominantly the case when working in the UK. Please note that to retro fit, the floor is raised by 100mm-refer to the two stage pour guide below.
Can Timber Floors be heated?
Yes – we can apply heating to your timber floors – see this completed project on how we installed underfloor heating throughout a timber framed house.
For a no obligation quote or further information on Underfloor Heating
– call us today on 0417 819 199